Organized in Wilmington, Delaware, July 4, 1783
Last meeting of the original society held in Wilmington,
July 5, 1802
Reorganized in Wilmington, February 22, 1895
Incorporated by the State of Delaware, March 20, 1895
Readmitted as a constituent society by the General Society, June 17, 1902
Established by officers of the Delaware Continental Line in Wilmington on July 4, 1783, the Delaware Society was the sixth of the constituent societies to be organized. Continental Army Surgeon James Tilton was elected its first president, along with Maj. James Patten, vice president; Capt. William McKennan, secretary; Lt. Edward Roche, treasurer; and Lt. Stephen McWilliam, assistant treasurer. Having suffered major losses among their officer corps in valiant service during the war, the Delaware Society was one of the smallest of the constituent societies, with thirty-eight original members. Although the Delaware Society met annually on the Fourth of July through the eighteenth century, interest and participation declined, and the Delaware Society formally disbanded in 1802.
The Delaware Society was revived and reorganized in 1895, and it was readmitted to the General Society in 1902.