Organized in New Windsor, New York, June 9, 1783
The New York Society was one of the first constituent branches formed by officers of the Continental Army in cantonment at New Windsor, New York. The New York Society's organizing meeting, including only infantry officers, took place on June 9, 1783—the same date the Massachusetts Society was established. At that meeting, Lt. Col. Benjamin Walker was directed to collect ballots from those officers present and also to solicit votes from the officers of the artillery. The results of the election were announced on July 5: Maj. Gen. Alexander MacDougall, president; Brig. Gen. George Clinton, vice president; Lt. Col. Benjamin Walker, secretary; Col. Philip Van Cortlandt, treasurer; and Maj. Nicholas Fish, assistant treasurer.
In 1786, the New York Society adopted a flag "of silk, imitating the Standard of the United States, having thirteen blue and white stripes alternate; in the upper corner of which to be painted the bald eagle." The New York Society flag and a later banner of similar design were adopted as the official standards of the General Society in 1905.
The New York Society is one of only six constituent societies to have remained in continuous operation since its founding.